Do you want to be able to bring all of your belongings with you without the pain of carrying them on your back? A rolling backpack is an excellent solution for those who need extra help.
Rolling backpacks are best for school & college students, as they carry heavy loads and don’t put pressure on one shoulder or another. This roundup review article will go over the ten best rolling backpacks with various compartments and can hold heavyweight stuff easily!
The J World New York Sundance Rolling Backpack is a stylish designer bag available for a reasonable price. First and foremost, this fashionable backpack comes in 30+ different colors and designs, so matching your style should be simple.
This bag is built to meet the demands of most colleges while remaining small for everyday use. Despite its mobile-friendly appearance, this backpack is large enough to hold textbooks, a laptop/tablet, and other necessities.
- Dimension : 51 X 34 X 22 Cm
- Weight: 5 Lbs
- Capacity: 38.34 Liter
- Laptop Sleeve: Fit Up To 15.4″ Wide-Screen Laptop.
- Age: After 8 Years Old ~ [ Grade School ~ Adult ].
- Ingenious Handle
- Laptop sleeve with padding
- The unit is built to last with an integrated bottom mold and durable wheels.
- Organizer in the Front Pocket Is Easily Accessible
There’s a lot of benefits that come with owning this rolling backpack, such as:
- Multiple compartments and pockets to hold items.
- The ability to carry more weight than most other bags on the market since it has wheels.
- Not too big or bulky for everyday use but large enough to suit your needs at school or work.
- Most importantly, this is a stylish backpack that will go with any outfit.
Overall, the J World New York Sundance Rolling Backpack makes for an excellent choice due to its price and quality. If you’re looking for something affordable but sturdy enough to keep up with your daily activities, this bag should be perfect!
The Targus Compact Rolling Backpack has many features that are perfect for commuting to school or work. One of the most beneficial parts of this bag is its lightweight design, so it won’t be cumbersome when you’re carrying it around campus.
Another significant aspect is the reinforced stitching at points of wear and tear, which makes this product last longer than other rolling backpacks.
This backpack has a padded laptop sleeve to protect your computer from bumps and bruises, along with multiple pockets for books, pens, water bottles, etc. One cool feature of this bag is the telescoping handle that allows you to bring it around everywhere without straining yourself or putting stress on your shoulder muscles since the weight is distributed evenly.
- Dimension : 13.8 x 9 x 19 inches
- Weight : 4.00 lbs
- Capacity : 29 Liters
- Laptop Compartment-10.50 x 15.25 Inches(W x H)
- Tablet Compartment- 5.50 x 9.25 Inches (W x H)
- Elastic straps for clothes
- Many benefits come with owning this backpack, including:
- A durable design.
- An ergonomic handle for maximum comfort when carrying it around.
- Many pockets to organize your belongings into different compartments so you can have easy access to everything in one place!
All in all, the Targus Compact Rolling Backpack is a durable and ergonomic option for anyone commuting to school or work. If you’re tired of carrying your stuff around by hand, then this rolling backpack should be perfect!
The Rockland Double Handle Rolling Backpack is an excellent choice for those looking for something lightweight, versatile, and stylish. This bag works well if you’re commuting to school or work since it can fit all of your necessities without being too bulky.
This backpack has many pockets perfect for organizing small items like pens/pencils within easy reach. An additional benefit of this bag is the large interior pocket with padding to protect your items like laptops or tablets. Something cool about this rolling backpack is that you can lock it for security with a TSA-approved key lock!
- Dimension : 13 x 10 x 17 inches
- Weight: 3.49 pounds
- Telescoping Handle
- Side Mesh Panel
- Inline Wheels
- The Rockland Double Handle Rolling Backpack has many benefits, including:
- A lightweight design.
- Water-resistant exterior material to protect your belongings from the elements.
- Great value for its price!
All in all, this is a great affordable rolling backpack that will suit anyone’s needs who is commuting to school or work frequently. The features of this bag make it a great option!
The ‘High Sierra’ XBT Business Rolling Backpack is a well-designed rolling backpack ideal for college or nursing school. This backpack has a large front compartment with a cushioned computer sleeve and can fit most 15 “laptops.”
The leather makes this bag both lightweight and durable. The comfortable and long-lasting adjustable shoulder strap, as well as the buckle locks, assure that your belongings are safe when not in use. You may store all of your college textbooks, clothing, shoes, and other necessities in the main compartment. Extra compartments in the backpack’s front assist with better organization.
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Integrated Tech Spot tablet computer sleeve (12 x 11 x 0.75 in.)
- Corner-mounted wheels that are smooth rolling
- Padded shoulder straps
Some great benefits of this rolling backpack include:
- A durable leather exterior.
- Sturdy and smooth-rolling wheels that make it easy to transport from one place to another!
- Lightweight design makes it a lot easier on your back muscles when you’re carrying around all of your college books for the day!
Overall, the High Sierra XBT Business Rolling Backpack is an excellent choice for college students or working professionals who need to carry around large amounts of belongings. This backpack has many pockets, making it easy to organize all your small items and keep them stored in one place to access them quickly!
The ‘Driver 8 Backpack’ from JanSport is ideal for college students who need to carry much. It has plenty of space for big books, school necessities, and clothes.
This bag has an enormous main compartment with a cushioned laptop sleeve for laptops up to 15 inches.
A second compartment provides additional storage space for things you don’t want to be mixed.
- Dimensions: 21″ x 14″ x 10″ / 53 x 35 x 25 cm
- Weight: 5 lbs / 3 kg
- Capacity: 2175 cu in / 36 L
- Fabric: 600 Denier Polyester / 420 Denier Nylon
- Laptop Dimensions: 11.5″ x 10.5″ x 1.5″ / 29 x 27 x 4 cm
- Side water bottle pocket
- Two large main compartments
- Fully padded back panel
- 80 mm inline skate wheels
Some great benefits of the ‘Driver’ backpack include:
- The large main compartment with a cushioned laptop sleeve is perfect for laptops up to 15 inches.
- Two additional compartments provide storage space for other things you don’t want mixed!
- A lightweight design makes this bag easy to transport from one place to another.
All in all, the ‘JanSport Driver’ Backpack is an excellent choice for college students who need to carry around large amounts of stuff. Its multi-purpose design makes it perfect for light travelers, and its padded back panel helps with better airflow, which means less sweat! It has plenty of pockets that make the organization of your small items easy.
The ‘JanSport Driver’ Backpack is an excellent choice for college students who need to carry around large amounts of stuff!
Related Article: JanSport Big Student Backpack Review
What are the health risks of carrying a heavy backpack?
Backpacks with heavy loads are all too prevalent, and several negative consequences come with carrying them for 8 hours at school. Having a hefty bag can pressure the spine and shoulders, potentially producing short-term symptoms such as pain and tiredness and creating long-term undesirable behaviors like slouching and bad posture.
Carrying a heavy backpack interferes with the body’s natural curves, forcing the spine to compress under the strain of an overloaded bag. A study published in “Spine” found that children who carry heavy backpacks show signs of scoliosis (a sideways curvature of the spine). In contrast, those who wear their bags on just one shoulder compensate for the imbalance by bending sideways in the opposite direction, causing their shoulders to appear uneven.
While it is commendable that students carry lighter bags with them to school, many don’t know how to minimize their load and continue having an unnecessary amount of weight despite the dangers. The researchers from the study mentioned above stress that “when possible, books and supplies should be kept in a locker until needed for class.” They point out that parents can help their kids by offering to buy a backpack with wheels, so students have no excuse not to bring what is necessary.
It’s an understandable sentiment, but I’m going to voice my disagreement and say that I still think it’s the responsibility of the school and teachers to provide a certain degree of EQUALITY among students. As long as some kids have backpacks with wheels, why can’t all have them? It isn’t fair for those who don’t have any option but to carry their bags all day just because they’re not aware of the negative impact of this activity.
Related Article: How To Make Your Backpack Lighter
The Best Rolling Backpacks Buying Guide
With so many well-designed backpacks on the market, picking the finest ones might be difficult. Furthermore, the most dependable college backpacks must have excellent organization capacity, high-quality materials, and exceptional comfort. Besides, Students, teachers, and professionals all require large spaces to suit their daily requirements.
According to your demands, there are several things to consider while purchasing the most dependable rolling backpack for school. These elements include storage capacity, overall durability, and ease of transportation.
Storage Space and Compartments
The best rolling backpacks for college students must have ample storage space, which is the number one thing to consider. The best rolling bag should carry books, gadgets, and personal belongings such as clothing, toiletries, food items, etc. They also need a separate compartment that can hold both laptop and tablet devices with ease.
Comfortable and Easy to Transport
In addition to the storage space, you should also consider how comfortable a rolling backpack is when carrying it. Furthermore, an adjustable handle makes transportation easier for short distances. Ensure that your college bag has several compartments that give easy access to all of your belongings without any hassle.
The materials used to make the bag matter a lot. It should be made of water-resistant fabric that can hold heavy stuff. A well-made backpack must have thick shoulder straps with extra cushioning to give you exceptional comfort while carrying around your load.
There are several types of college backpacking products, and some have exceptional durability. The most dependable rolling backpack for school needs to be made from the finest materials to last long, even with daily use.
The carrying method is another critical consideration, and a backpack should have adjustable straps for better convenience. In addition to this, there must be a padded shoulder strap and a waist belt that can distribute weight evenly across your back.
It is a crucial consideration for any rolling backpack. High-quality wheels with large, polyurethane rubber tires that are stronger than plastic allow you to use them on various surfaces without worry of breaking. A more robust undercarriage adds to the overall durability.
Price and Warranties
The price is the final thing you should consider when buying one of these products. Moreover, look for a backpack that comes with a warranty so that you can get it repaired in case there are any manufacturing defects found. A good bag also has certain accessories such as an internal organizer and water bottle holder to keep your belongings safe from being damaged or lost during your college trips.
10 Questions to Ask When Getting a Rolling Backpack
If you’re still having trouble deciding between two similar rolling backpacks, ask the following questions.
- Is this rolling backpack big enough to handle my daily work needs?
- How much does it weigh, and how easy is it to carry around with me?
- Can I attach additional items such as my gym bag or jacket to the exterior of this rolling backpack?
- Are there any extra compartments that can hold other things, such as water bottles or my lunch?
- How comfortable is this rolling backpack on long trips with lots of books and gadgets inside it?
- Is the price reasonable for what I’m getting, or are there any hidden costs that come up after buying?
- Can I get a warranty if anything goes wrong with it during the first year of use?
- Will this rolling backpack fit underneath my airplane seat, or will I have to check it in?
- Can this rolling backpack be stored away easily when not used not to take too much space?
- Will this meet all of the safety requirements set by my local college campus for carrying around backpacks on narrow walkways and crowded hallways?
These questions are intended to help you decide whether a rolling backpack is appropriate for you. There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all solution; nevertheless, seeing how you react and ultimately feel about a specific bag may be instructive.
Rolling Backpack essentials you may need
- Water bottle
- Snacks and lunch
- Electronics / Chargers
- Notebooks and binders
Rolling Backpack Alternatives
Aside from rolling backpacks, other alternatives for college students may include tote bags, shoulder/sling bags, messenger bags, and duffel bags. These bags have a variety of designs, carrying methods, use cases, and storage capacity.
Advantages of Using a Rolling Backpack
For people who carry around heavy stuff during their college years, rolling backpacks are the best solution. It’s easy to find one that fits your needs because of its design and durability. Here are some advantages of using a rolling backpack
- Ergonomic design can help distribute weight evenly across your body.
- It’s easy to store away when you’re not using it.
- You can easily pack and unpack with ease without the hassle of opening/closing zippers over and over again.
- Several compartments will keep your items organized for quick access.
- Many backpacks come with wheels, so you don’t have to carry them on your shoulders.
Disadvantages of Using a Rolling Backpack
Rolling backpacks, like any other luggage and bags out there, have their disadvantages.
- Some people may find these backpacks to be bulky or inconvenient.
- There are also some issues related to safety while using the bag on public transportation, such as airplanes.
- Taking public transit with a rolling backpack is more difficult because it doesn’t fit underneath the seat.
Rolling Backpack Design: Lightweight or Heavy-Duty
Lightweight rolling backpacks can be less expensive and are easier to carry around. However, they may not last as long under intense use.
If you’re looking for something with good value, then going with an inexpensive bag may be the best solution. It’s lightweight, easy to carry around, and is typically smaller than its heavy-duty counterpart.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for something that’s durable and offers more support on your body, heavy-duty rolling backpacks may be a better choice. Some of these bags have metal frames and solid wheels that can take a lot of weight.
Something with high value will be durable and versatile enough for you to use it daily without any problems whatsoever. The downside is the price point, as these bags are more expensive than their lightweight counterparts.
Purchase a lightweight backpack if:
- You don’t have to bring anything heavy.
- You don’t want to spend too much money.
- Backpack mobility and portability are critical.
Purchase a heavy-duty backpack if:
- It would help if you had something that has better support for your back and shoulders.
- You need to bring a lot of stuff with you.
- The wheels and handles must be sturdy enough not to break while traversing through different terrains such as grass, gravel, or carpeted areas.
- For people who carry around heavy items during their college years
How to Make the Most of Your Rolling Backpack
The following section will cover investing in a high-quality design, overpacking, and purchasing valuable accessories. When utilized together, these features will improve the quality and enjoyment of your pack.
1. Invest in a high-quality design
The best rolling backpacks are more expensive, but they’re worth the price. Nowadays, several brands make these bags. It’s essential to invest in a high-quality bag because it will last longer and will be able to hold more weight without breaking down or wearing out at an accelerated pace.
If you decide to go with a cheaper bag, it might not hold up against daily wear and tear. It may break down under the weight of your stuff or fall apart after several months of use.
How can I tell if my backpack is high-quality?
Any rolling backpacks made out of polyester are likely to be more durable than ones made out of nylon.
The higher the denier number is for your bag’s materials, the better it will hold up against wear and tear.
For example, a 300D backpack material would be more robust than one with 100D or 200D in its construction.
Make sure that your bag comes with a warranty. If the brand doesn’t cover manufacturing defects, then it’s likely that you may have to spend more money to replace or fix any problems down the line.
Related Article: How To Fix A Backpack Strap
2. Do not over-pack
When you’re shopping for a rolling backpack, the general rule of thumb is to purchase one that has around 40% – 50% more room than what you think your belongings will take up. For example, if you only plan to bring two textbooks and a binder with you during college, don’t settle for anything larger than 20 liters.
On the other hand, if you have to bring three textbooks along with your laptop, tablet, and several notebooks, then go for a 31 liter – 40-liter backpack instead. If it’s too large or small for what you need, there are easy fixes that you can make to adjust its size so that it will work perfectly for you.
In addition to not packing too much stuff, it’s recommended that students only bring the essentials with them. It may be tempting to pack a bunch of extra food or clothes into your bag since they’re lightweight and take up less space than textbooks and binders. However, suppose there’s an emergency during college. In that case, you don’t want to be stuck having to carry around extra items that won’t help you.
3. Buy a backpack lock.
There are times when you’re walking across campus, and there aren’t many people around. Even though this time is ideal for studying, it can also make you vulnerable to theft or other safety issues.
A backpack lock with a flexible steel cable is an inexpensive way to keep your stuff safe during these moments. If someone tries to steal any of your belongings, then they’ll have a difficult time doing so with this lock in place.
It’s also crucial that you purchase one that has a combination or keyed entry point. This way, you will always have access to all of the items inside when needed instead of being forced to carry around an extra set of keys for the lock.
4. Removable organizers are your friends.
The compartments will become filled with various items. It is when removable organizers can come in handy because they allow for compartmentalization and easy access at the same time.
Depending on how much stuff you have inside it, a single organizer may not be enough, or there might be too many compartments to help you stay organized. That’s why it’s essential to make sure that your rolling backpack has removable organizers inside of the main compartment, front pocket, and top flap so that they can be removed or rearranged at any time without too much hassle.
When transporting heavier items like books, binders, and electronics in a rolling backpack, it’s better to spread them evenly. Otherwise, the bag may topple over when you lift it if too much weight is put into one area.
Even though there are other ways that your items can be divided up inside of a backpack, using removable organizers will help you stay organized and prevent college students from having an accident while trying to carry their rolling bag.
How to Minimize Backpack Injuries
Here are some precautions to take to avoid backpack injuries:
- Use both straps
- Even though most rolling backpacks only come with one strap, it’s recommended that you use two instead.
- When too much weight is put into a bag, and it becomes overloaded, then the shoulder closest to your body will be strained when trying to carry everything in an upright position.
- If two straps are attached to the bag, you will distribute the weight evenly across your back. If one strap is ripped off or broken somehow, it can be easily replaced without buying a whole new backpack and its contents.
- Keep items close to your body.
- When you’re carrying anything with two hands on either side of your chest, then there’s more strain put on the spine and back muscles.
- Instead, try to keep as many items as close to your body as possible while you’re carrying them with one hand or two hands behind your back at all times. That will help prevent strain from being placed on the spine and makes it easier for heavy objects like books and binders to be carried.
- Use proper posture
- If you’re not taking many items, it might be tempting to slouch while walking. When the load is light and your backpack isn’t too heavy, this doesn’t pose much of a problem. However, suppose there’s an extra weight inside it, or you have one shoulder strap that’s significantly shorter than the other. In that case, slouching can lead to pain and even injury.
- Make sure that you’re walking with your head up straight while keeping your back as flat as possible at all times when there’s an extra weight inside of a rolling backpack. If one shoulder strap is longer or shorter than another, try attaching it to the buckle on the opposite side to create a more even distribution.
Tips on preventing back injuries:
- To lower your overall burden, invest in a second backpack.
- Regular exercise and stretching are recommended.
- Don’t overload your bag.
- Keep your back straight and lift with your knees if you need to carry something while wearing a backpack.
Related Article: How Should A Backpack Fit
How do I know if my backpack is the right size?
When you look for rolling backpacks online or when shopping around, there are specific measurements that you should keep an eye out for, such as height and length of the strap, circumference at chest level, and diameter across the center point of the bag.
Knowing how to measure your backpack will make it easier for you to determine if the measurements are correct so that there’s no room for error in purchasing one.
To do this, all you have to do is hold a measuring tape at chest level and wrap it around yourself while looking into a mirror or taking a photo of your back. Then, you can get a rough idea of where the backpack should be resting on your body and if it’s too big or small for someone with your height and builds.
If there are no adjustable straps around the circumference at chest level, then try to find another rolling bag that does have them so that you’re able to adjust them for your comfort.
After looking at the measurements of different backpacks, you’ll be able to tell which one is best suited for your needs and won’t lead to injury while carrying it around campus or on a trip!
Roller backpacks are fantastic for those who need extra assistance carrying their belongings from one place to another! They have many pockets, which makes it easy to organize all of your small items and keep them stored in one place so you can access them quickly!
Thank you so much for reading this blog post about the best rolling backpacks for college! I hope this helps when shopping around for a new bag to carry your college books.
Who should use a rolling bag?
If you want to carry a backpack on your back most of the time but have the option to wheel it about for longer distances, consider purchasing a rolling bag. If you pack lightly for a trip but expect to bring more stuff while you’re gone, you won’t have to worry about the weight burden.
Rolling backpacks are ideal for busy pupils of all ages, frequent travelers, and public transit users.
What is a Wheeled Backpack?
A wheeled backpack is a type of backpacking equipment with wheels or a bag with wheels.
The bag has a variety of compartments inside, including one with zip closures. The bag comes with wheels and a handle, making it easy to carry as a backpack or a rolling case.
How do you wash a Wheeled or rolling backpack?
Backpacks that are made of cloth can usually be safely washed in the washer. However, because rolling backpacks include metal and plastic components, this approach won’t work. Wiping down rolling packs with a damp cloth or disinfectant wipe is common practice among suitcases.
You may use a mild soap and water solution with a soft brush to remove stuck-on residue or stains if necessary. In any case, before packing or storing your bag, make sure it’s scorched.
How should you pack a rolling backpack?
To save room when traveling, roll up all of your clothing as tightly as possible. (You may use packing cubes in this case). Then fill the compartments and pouches with your toiletries, electronics, chargers, and other essentials.
Place your textbooks in the main compartment and your laptop in the designated sleeve if you’re using a rolling backpack for school. Then fill the other compartments with pens, folders, notecards, and whatever else you’ll need for class.
Related Article: How To Pack A Backpack For Travel
Are rolling backpacks an excellent alternative to regular backpacks?
Rolling backpacks may be a fantastic alternative to conventional backpacks since they force the weight on the wheels rather than your musculoskeletal system.
It might come in useful for kids who are wary of lugging their backpacks to school every day. For these reasons, it’s an excellent choice for individuals who do extra activities or walk home from school, adding to the time spent carrying around excess weight.
Wheeled Backpacks vs. Regular Backpacks – Which One is Best?
When determining whether you want a wheeled backpack or a typical backpack, consider what you’ll use the bag for and what’s essential to you.
Suppose you enjoy trekking and plan long journeys between locations (which need a lot of walking). In that case, a regular travel backpack is your best bet.
If the distance you need to walk is short and you intend to roll your luggage as much as possible, a wheeled backpack is an excellent choice.
A wheeled backpack is more adaptable in that it can be carried or rolled.
Which One is Best; Two or Four Wheels Backpack?
The two-wheeled backpack is less heavy and more affordable. As a result, most consumers prefer cheap bags. At the same time, four-wheeled bags are more expensive and more severe than two-wheeled backpacks.